SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#496816 - 05/11/20 08:22 PM OOT: So, to "add insult ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
to injury"... early Sunday evening our hot water heater sprung a major leak ... water on the laundry room floor, seeping into the carpet of the adjacent room ... fortunately, we realized it early and I was able to close the valve on the cold water going into the tank ...
We have had one of those policies that covers appliances in the home, and we've done pretty well by it ... this will be the second hot water tank, and we've had repair or replacement of several other major items ... I got a call tonight from the plumber assigned to replace it, and it will be done tomorrow (Tuesday) ...
I also found out that the dishwasher is hooked up to the hot water pipe ... they used to be connected to cold water, but the manufacturers made them more water efficient in that they use far less water, BUT, there wasn't enough time to get the cold water hot enough in the machine, so they need to be hooked up to hot water ...
So, two days heating water on the stove for cleaning, washing dishes, washing ourselves, etc.
And with a 1 year old living in the house ... juggle
BUT (#2), at least I have a house to live in, and it will all be fixed on Tuesday ...

#496818 - 05/11/20 10:46 PM Re: OOT: So, to "add insult ... [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Years ago I went to an on-demand, tankless, water heater. It uses far less electricity because it only runs when you need water and then heats it instantly. And we never run out of hot water. You can take a shower for an hour if you want to. Government even gives you a tax break to install it.
The water heater in the house when we bought it was located IN THE ATTIC. The house was built around it and we couldn't even get it out. It's still there 30 years later. When it went out water was dripping through the ceiling over the patio and I had to crawl through the attic to get to the turn-off valve.
At that time, we put a new one in the garage. Had to reroute all the pipes and run new electric line since our house is all electric.
When that one went out, we went to the Tankless. First one was a real cheap model and it lasted about five years. We replaced it with a much larger one and it is now going on ten years.
In a colder climate you would need a REALLY big one though.
Hope you get back to normal soon!

Edited by DonM (05/11/20 10:51 PM)

#496825 - 05/12/20 05:34 AM Re: OOT: So, to "add insult ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony,

Bummer especially with a one year old living in the house. Good luck today, I’m sure you’ll be relieved!

#496834 - 05/12/20 07:11 AM Re: OOT: So, to "add insult ... [Re: DonM]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By DonM
Years ago I went to an on-demand, tankless, water heater. It uses far less electricity because it only runs when you need water and then heats it instantly. And we never run out of hot water. You can take a shower for an hour if you want to. Government even gives you a tax break to install it.
The water heater in the house when we bought it was located IN THE ATTIC. The house was built around it and we couldn't even get it out. It's still there 30 years later. When it went out water was dripping through the ceiling over the patio and I had to crawl through the attic to get to the turn-off valve.
At that time, we put a new one in the garage. Had to reroute all the pipes and run new electric line since our house is all electric.

When that one went out, we went to the Tankless. First one was a real cheap model and it lasted about five years. We replaced it with a much larger one and it is now going on ten years.
In a colder climate you would need a REALLY big one though.

Hope you get back to normal soon!

I didn't know you could get an efficent tankless with electricity. Thought they all needed gas.

#496851 - 05/12/20 09:19 AM Re: OOT: So, to "add insult ... [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

No. The gas ones might be better, I don't know, but we've been happy with ours. 2300 sq. ft house.

#496852 - 05/12/20 09:25 AM Re: OOT: So, to "add insult ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Thanks Theres only two of us 2,200 sq. ft. and three bathrooms ( one never used) si I guess I would have to go for a bigger model. I did lok them up and it would be $700- $900 for a larger unit. Just don't know the cost of the electric hookup/ But thanks for the thought, something to thin about for the future.

#496857 - 05/12/20 09:42 AM Re: OOT: So, to "add insult ... [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

With the larger model it was necessary for us to upgrade the wiring size and breaker. And you have be sure to have enough service to the house, although most fairly modern homes do already.

#496865 - 05/12/20 10:25 AM Re: OOT: So, to "add insult ... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
In my home I have an oil fired boiler with a summer/winter hookup for hot water. Heats from 55 degrees to 160 in just 3 minutes. Never run out of hot water with this and the first system lasted 35 years before I replaced it.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#496928 - 05/13/20 09:08 AM Re: OOT: So, to "add insult ... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Hot water heater replaced yesterday PM ... Installers dressed right with gloves and masks ... I sprayed everything when they left ...

amazing how good a hot shower feels ...

#496931 - 05/13/20 09:27 AM Re: OOT: So, to "add insult ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

That's great Tony good luck with it meanwhile our power just out a half hour ago in the whole area what else can happen?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online